The Rebound of 2012-2013: Let’s Keep the Ball Rolling! Our group photo this year features Anacapa in the famed Alabama Hills in the Eastern Sierra. You might have noticed that we’re a much larger school this year. We’re thrilled to share with you the good news that our enrollment grew from 49 to 65 students this year— a 32% rate of growth!
What sets Anacapa apart from other schools? As time goes by, the one constant that distinguishes Anacapa from other good schools is the positive way our students treat each other. The core Anacapa values of kindness and integrity come through loud and clear. People who encounter Anacapa students often go out of their way to compliment us on their manners and the common courtesies they show others.
This year we have a special treat in store for us. Last summer, we entered a highly competitive NASA competition and were accepted to be one of just a few schools nationwide to communicate directly by amateur radio with astronauts on the International Space Station. To make the most of this golden opportunity, we are building this year’s critical thinking Synthesis Unit on space and astronomy-related topics. Our Synthesis Unit title will be Space: Where Are We Going?
With our larger community, we’ve raised this year’s Annual Giving goal from $40,000 to $50,000. The purpose of Annual Giving is to provide enhancements for students and their teachers. The following items are on the faculty’s wish list and will be funded through gifts made to this year’s Annual Giving Campaign:
- Physics equipment and graphing calculators
- Additional computer upgrading, including new projection systems for all classrooms
- A “new” used 12-passenger van
- With everyone’s support, we will be able to keep Anacapa in orbit! Please be as generous as you can with your donation.
- Funding to support two performances at Center Stage Theater
- New electric kiln for our ceramics program
- New software for the music, math and foreign language departments
- New high-definition video camera for digital media and other courses